Karen L. Ricciardi, PhD
Associate Professor of Mathematics
School for the Environment
University of Massachusetts Boston
Address: University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
Fall 2013: MA260: Linear Algebra
Spring 2013: EEOS305: Hydrology
I have studied optimization methods used in systems where input parameters are subject to variability. This is related to groundwater research in the area of remediation designing. Groundwater flow is dependent upon the hydraulic conductivity of the medium through which it flows. Unfortunately, hydraulic conductivity is very difficult to measure accurately. My research explores a novel method used to address the variability of hydraulic conductivity in determining optimal remediation designs. I have also explored a new algorithm for determining global optimal solutions to complex numeric problems with multiple local minima. For more details about my research, please read a summary of my Research Program by following this LINK.
Academic Support (Math Resource Center) (extra help and tutoring)
Register for tutoring online at: Online Application for Tutor Scheduling (OATS)
Wolfram Problem Solver (Online solutions manual at your finger-tips)
Women in Science (AWIS)
American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
National Ground Water Association (NGWA)
Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “The effects of large scale variations in a physical model on the relevance of uncertainty in an optimization design applied to a ground water system”, Pacific Journal of Optimization, 7(3), September 2011, 503-529. (invited submission for special edition)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Representation of multiple hydrostratigraphic regions for ground water remediation design subject to uncertainty,” Proceedings of the XVI International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Barcelona, Spain, June 2010, 11 pages. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L. and A. Mulligan, “The effects of uncertainty on a ground water management problem involving saltwater intrusion,” ASCE, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, Providence, RI, May 2010, 1102-1113. (Peer reviewed abstract submissions.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Remediation of Heterogeneous Aquifers Subject to Uncertainty,” Ground Water, 47(5), 2009, 675-685.
· Ricciardi, K.L. and S.H. Brill, “Optimal Hermite collocation applied to a one-dimensional convection-diffusion equation using a hybrid optimization algorithm with tunneling,” Intern. J. of Num. Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 19(7), 2009, 874-893.
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. Pinder and G. Karatzas, “Optimal Groundwater Remediation Design Subject to Uncertainty with Imposed Concentration and Gradient Constraints,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 135(2), 2009, 128-137.
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. Pinder and G. Karatzas, “Efficient Groundwater Remediation System Design Subject to Uncertainty Using Robust Optimization,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 133(3), 2007, 253-263.
· Ricciardi, K.L. and S.H. Brill, “Optimal Hermite collocation applied to a one-dimensional convection-diffusion equation using a hybrid optimization algorithm,” Proceedings of the XVI International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2006, 9 pages. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “The Impact of Regional Geologic Variation on Robust Groundwater Remediation Design,” Proceedings of the IASTED conference on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, 471-108, Oranjsted, Aruba, 2005, 41-46. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. F. Pinder and K. Belitz, “Comparison of the lognormal and beta-distribution functions to describe the uncertainty in permeability,” Journal of Hydrology, 313(3-4), 2005, 248-256.
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Optimal Groundwater Remediation Design Subject to Uncertainty in Hydraulic Conductivity with Regional Geologic Variation,” Proceedings of the XV International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2, 2004, 1215-1225. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
Please send e-mail to... Karen.Ricciardi@umb.edu