Spring 2013 Course
I have studied optimization methods used in systems where input parameters are subject to variability. This is related to groundwater research in the area of remediation designing. Groundwater flow is dependent upon the hydraulic conductivity of the medium through which it flows. Unfortunately, hydraulic conductivity is very difficult to measure accurately. My research explores a novel method used to address the variability of hydraulic conductivity in determining optimal remediation designs. I have also explored a new algorithm for determining global optimal solutions to complex numeric problems with multiple local minima. For more details about my research, please read a summary of my Research Program by following this LINK.
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AT UMB:
The Department of Mathematics at the University of Massachusetts Boston is a department that offers a bachelor of arts and bachelor of sciences degree in mathematics as well as a minor in mathematics. Between five and ten students graduate each year with an undergraduate degree in mathematics, however, each of the students at the university must complete a mathematics course requirement for graduation. The faculty members within the Department of Mathematics provide an invaluable resource to the university by teaching students from diverse educational backgrounds with diverse goals and aspirations. As the only public university within the city of Boston, the department is committed to the urban mission of the institution by providing students with the mathematical education necessary to succeed in their goals.
MATH 260: Linear Algebra
Other useful links for students
Academic Support (Math Resource Center) (extra help and tutoring)
Register for tutoring online at: Online Application for Tutor Scheduling (OATS)
Wolfram Problem Solver (Online solutions manual at your finger-tips)
Women in Science (AWIS)
Notices survey of Math Ph.D.s
American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “The effects of large scale variations in a physical model on the relevance of uncertainty in an optimization design applied to a ground water system”, Pacific Journal of Optimization, 7(3), September 2011, 503-529. (invited submission for special edition)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Representation of multiple hydrostratigraphic regions for ground water remediation design subject to uncertainty,” Proceedings of the XVI International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Barcelona, Spain, June 2010, 11 pages. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L. and A. Mulligan, “The effects of uncertainty on a ground water management problem involving saltwater intrusion,” ASCE, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, Providence, RI, May 2010, 1102-1113. (Peer reviewed abstract submissions.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Remediation of Heterogeneous Aquifers Subject to Uncertainty,” Ground Water, 47(5), 2009, 675-685.
· Ricciardi, K.L. and S.H. Brill, “Optimal Hermite collocation applied to a one-dimensional convection-diffusion equation using a hybrid optimization algorithm with tunneling,” Intern. J. of Num. Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow, 19(7), 2009, 874-893.
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. Pinder and G. Karatzas, “Optimal Groundwater Remediation Design Subject to Uncertainty with Imposed Concentration and Gradient Constraints,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 135(2), 2009, 128-137.
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. Pinder and G. Karatzas, “Efficient Groundwater Remediation System Design Subject to Uncertainty Using Robust Optimization,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 133(3), 2007, 253-263.
· Ricciardi, K.L. and S.H. Brill, “Optimal Hermite collocation applied to a one-dimensional convection-diffusion equation using a hybrid optimization algorithm,” Proceedings of the XVI International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2006, 9 pages. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., “The Impact of Regional Geologic Variation on Robust Groundwater Remediation Design,” Proceedings of the IASTED conference on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, 471-108, Oranjsted, Aruba, 2005, 41-46. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
· Ricciardi, K.L., G. F. Pinder and K. Belitz, “Comparison of the lognormal and beta-distribution functions to describe the uncertainty in permeability,” Journal of Hydrology, 313(3-4), 2005, 248-256.
· Ricciardi, K.L., “Optimal Groundwater Remediation Design Subject to Uncertainty in Hydraulic Conductivity with Regional Geologic Variation,” Proceedings of the XV International Conference on Computational Methods in Water Resources, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 2, 2004, 1215-1225. (Peer reviewed conference proceedings.)
Please send e-mail to... Karen.Ricciardi@umb.edu